Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Berries, Buddies, slow & steady ...

Whew!  Seems like years since I last shared...  :) Time flies when you are napping, reading and recovering.  



My oncologist told me on Tuesday that many people equate a radical hysterectomy with a c-section.  In his professional opinion, it is like having 4 c-sections on top of each other, combined with the worst cramps and abdominal gas pain you will ever have.  While I have never had a c-section, I did have two vaginal births, and well, they hurt less.  I'm off the Percocet , boo!, and am feeling fair to well!  Motrin once in a while, but as long as I maintain the slow & steady, all is well.  



Tuesday's appointment went well.  We arrived at Centennial early, John visited his favorite coffee spot, I people watched. (I'm fascinated by people who wear their slippers out!)  Appointment started off grand, I've lost 12 lbs.  Hmm, guess a tumor, girlie tissue, uterus and more must weigh a lot!  



Radiation is looking pretty likely...  YES, all of the cancer is gone.  YES, all of the tissue margins came back clear.  BUT, in less than 6 months, I went from NOTHING, to a whole lotta somethin'.  My cancer was cancer.  Aggressive, large, and there!  The greatest concern is the area around the tumor.  It was air.  The tumor was attached at the utmost base of my cervix.  Kind of like a disco ball, but less sparkly and fun.  It did not touch the tissue around it.  So... when margins are removed, yes, they are removed, but....  Well....you can't remove air... I'm 40, and young.  I want to live to be O.L.D.  So, a little zap, zap, buzz, buzz is most likely.  



NOW to have the radiation oncologist HERE, to have the ability to do the small box radiation.  I have zero desire to drive to Nashville, for 20 days, in a row... to do this.  But, I can and will should I need to.  



The greatest news was I had my catheter removed.  Can I get a Hallelujah chorus?  2 weeks with my "straw" as Mary Elizabeth called it.  1 week was extra, as  I had an infection... sigh.  It was a glorious moment for me!  Followed by a sad moment for John, Dr. Numnum (yes, that is his name) reminded John hands off for 6 more weeks.  Poor fella.... anyone want to babysit in 6 weeks?  hubba hubba :)



So home we came to SURPRISE!  Shari's Berries!  12 chocolate, milk and white, covered strawberries and SIX cake pops, decorated in medical fun.  My sweet Indiana and North Carolina nieces and nephew spoil me.  and then.... Cheryl's cookies brought 36 fancy, dancy, yummy cookies from the best aunties EVER...  Sigh, didn't I say I lost 12 lbs.? My family is my ROCK.  and they rock too :)
 
Goodies don't take away the last month, but good glory, they do make it a bit easier.  My family is a gift.  I try to talk to someone every day, and whew!  My sisters and I can burn up some cell time!  Lots of chats with Grammy, and fun texting with the cousins.  I plan to keep this up forever.  and ever. and ever.

BUDDIES
Staying home....  I LOVE being home, during the summer, vacations... but WOW!  Being home, while the kiddoes are in school, and not being able to physically "do" stuff, BORING....  I've read, napped, watched MAURY (you are NOT the father..)  It gets old, quick.  John is kind of working, and well, I'm a little bored.  This is where my buddies, AKA, girlfriends come in!  My sweet love Libbie kidnapped me last Friday, and we had lunch at Harper House with the always awesome Kristin, who I love as much as bubblegum and chocolate ice cream...  that is A LOT of love..  We had a nice 2+ hour lunch, LOVED IT!!!  Super excited for tomorrow, because my one and only sister from another mother, Deidra will be here.  Ever had that friend, that whether you see her often or not, you just melt when you see her?  That's my De.  


My friends have carried my spirit and heart through this.  My girl Paige, who is so often my rock (and a rockstar too!) & my Jessica, who brings me joy, love, hope and amazingness... Our Myra who loves us tons, and came and spent the whole afternoon and cooked for us!!  My faraway friends, my rellies in CT, my crazy, ever awesome lovely, cousins in MI...My Mary Anne, my Tambo...  the prayers said for my by my P. Paige, Stef.... My Courtney & Stacia, who are always willing to Rockband...My Danna who I miss seeing every day.  If I do not say your name here, know that I think it.  


My cancer is gone, but now, at home, during the quiet alone times, I have time to think, reflect, and be so very thankful that from diagnosis to surgery was less than a month.  I'm a lucky, lucky duck.  This I know.  I'm thankful for my friends who have prayed for me, thought of me, and sent a bit o' karma my way.


I'm closing shop for tonight.  I hope that everyone who reads this page, takes a moment and has a thankful thought, for anything.  The big stuff, the little bits, its all good.  For me, tonight, I'm thankful for the ever-present crumb crusted kisses from my children, and their need for one more kiss.  So very thankful for the loving looks, gentle touches, quiet love and strong spirit of and from my husband.  I'm thankful for my mother's enveloping hugs, the softness of her hands, and the pride in her heart.  I'm thankful for my super duper sisters and their babies..  I'm thankful for my B in law, and that he knows Mr. Pink and Mr. Purple, and sends photos that bring me joy.  


Its the little stuff... Definitely the little stuff that is so very, very big.

Blessings....

No comments: